Sunday, October 29, 2006

Country Style: Part 1

Come with me, into the Canadian woods. Below are pictures of my mother's 1 km driveway on the Canadian Shield. The last time down it we came across a female moose and her two offspring. Black bears like to eat blackberries along the side of the gravel drive. The virgin forest is full of life.

Next weekend I head up to mom's to clear away some of the taller saplings growing up under the hydro (electrical) lines. It's an unending job. Living in the wilderness means there's always work to be done.

Urban life is about my relationship to society and a constructed environment. Rural life is my relationship with nature and wildlife.













3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my best memories from this past summer is the weekend spent up your Mom's place. Anytime she needs help maintaining that driveway, give me a call.
D

4:04 a.m.  
Blogger pushingtide said...

Nice roads. Love to walk down one of them and around the corner pops out a reelin' point.

8:06 a.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

pushingtide,

Thanks for reminding me of this time on Vancouver Island.

My buddies and I were cruising beaches for a place to settle. The last one had us walking through the rain forest. Total green. Then the sunny sky opened to the glassiest waves I'd ever seen.

We just looked at each other.

1:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites