Saturday, July 01, 2006

'Simulated Depth'

I've begun a new business service of painting commissioned pictures for people based on a list of colours they want included in order to match the interior decors of their homes or offices.

I know, I know. Art purists would say that's utterly commercial and without artistic merit. I think some artists would improve greatly with restraints applied - like hands tied behind their backs. Art purists are side-line observers, who often cackle and trade in the ideas of 'respected authority' with little understanding. Also, artists need to get good at conducting business if they want to make a living out of it, instead of just talking about it in coffee houses (and blogs).

Anyway, this painting, 'Simulated Depth' (3'x4') , is supposed to be "black and brown with white and pink highlights". I've gone through so many versions of this, I regret not taking photos of it in progress now. The client wants one just like another one of mine he has. I've tried to explain that I can't copy one of my own paintings because I paint in a very emotional trance-like madness as if painting a warrior before an ancient battle, or a sweet caress. To copy is to embrace death, rather than foster new life.

It would be a lot simpler for me to just paint the damn thing and deliver it (after I've received the $). The problem with this one is the future owner has looked at it from time to time, making comments, and basically has me painting over each successive version. I actually like this version and regret the fact that I'll have to paint over it again. He wants it to be more pink and purple like an earlier version that was 'sexy'. I don't know how to paint abstract sexy.

Let the painter paint, and you'll grow to like or appreciate it in time. Most people don't know what they like until you tell them what to like. This is especially true with abstract painting. I'm not saying this about my current client (in case the bastard is reading this), but it is a fact from my observation. From the thousands of photos I've taken of people looking at art, the overwhelming facial and bodily expression is 'Confusion'.

One of the great gifts of art is that it defies our need to classify things. Good art gives us back our wonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites