Monday, July 17, 2006

The High-Heeled Patron

Good article and fabu slide show over at Open Democracy.

The author compares art work made in N. Korea under totalitarian father/son team with the work of artists during Stalin and Mao's government.
"All artists in North Korea are registered as members of the Korean Artists Federation and receive monthly salaries, for which they are expected to produce a certain number of works. Some artists work "on the spot", at factories or construction sites, whereas others go to an office. Both would be expected to work regular hours and have about two hours of study or discussion in the evenings with regular reports and evaluations. Abstract or conceptual art is forbidden and the subjects and themes of works of art are limited."
Here's something else from the little big guy:
"A picture must be painted in such a way that the viewer can understand its meaning. If the people who see a picture cannot grasp its meaning, no matter what a talented artist may have painted it, they cannot say it is a good picture."
I think this means "Wear scarf on mountain top".

Y'know, I don't think that's such a bad shake for an artist. Monthly salaries! Sign me up,
Kim Jong-il, baby! Throw in booze and slave girls and I'll make you that living god!

2 Comments:

Blogger J.P. said...

I changed the title of my Art Slob blog to Over Spray. Cool blog man, I will you link you up.

7:01 a.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

I'll give a back history to the JP rap.

Ripper sent me JP's blog link. Good stuff. I laughed when I saw we both had the 'Art Slob' handle. So, I commented on his blog "I'm The Art Slob", imagining fists on hips and cape blowing in the wind.

Change it back to Art Slob!!! It's a state of mind.

Check out Over Spray, everybody. Now I want to start a blog called Love Spray!

11:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites