Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Art Garbage?

I was walking home last night and came across two canvas paintings on wooden frames leaning against garbage bags. Castaways.


They were both 3' x 4'. I went with my first reaction and carried them about 20 blocks home. It was amusing, thinking myself all romantic artist, carrying stretched canvases down Queen St.

Not quite sure what to do with them. Paint over them? It would be difficult to paint over the nude. She's quite the creature and beginning to grow on me.

And what about this one?
Is she a doll, a young girl, something else?

3 Comments:

Blogger Rob McCleary said...

That's completely weird. What are the odds?

That doll would give me nightmares.

8:28 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

The first painting kind of looks like one by a New York artist named Pearlstein.

Did you check it out with a gallery?

11:26 a.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

Do you mean Philip Pearlstein, Invisible Girl? I see the resemblance after my Google. I really don't think so. 'The Colossus' as I'm gonna call her was made from a life-drawing class by a junior artist. There's maybe 4 stables on each side holding the loose canvas on the frame. Believe me, it looks a lot better as a low-res image. Can you see the knife stabs in the canvas?

It's one of the nice things about the arts district in Toronto, finding discarded art on the street. That and the occasional used toilet or Ikea shelving unit. I found another nude on the sidewalk about six months ago and gave it to a friend. There's at least 100 galleries in Toronto and I don't have the energy to carry it to all of them, or suffer director's sad expressions.

Pearlstein Artnet Link:
http://www.artnet.com/artist/
13224/philip-pearlstein.html

1:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites