Saturday, July 29, 2006

Different Ways

I remember in highschool, when I first started to rebel beyond class clown, refusing one day to stand with head bowed during the reading of The Lord's Prayer. Not that the prayer (or prayer itself) is necessarily a bad thing, but I didn't agree with the forced concentration camp feel of it all. Shouldn't I have the right to choose? The exercise of my right not to stand got me a quick trip to the principal's office.

I sat down with the guy - a good man - and basically told him in a multicultural society like Canada, no particular belief system ought to be preferred over another in a public institution. I pulled out the Tao Te Ching and said "This is my philosophy". Instead of any punishment, the principal said I may sit in the library (my regular hangout) during the morning announcements and all teachers would be informed that I was not to be disturbed.

Maybe my actions weren't in accord with The Way of Taoism, but it secured a little bit of freedom. I believe the Lord's Prayer is no longer included in school morning announcements in the Province of Ontario.

Came across a fine Aristotle quote the other day. What a guy....

"The more thou dost advance, the more thy feet pitfalls will meet. The Path that leadeth on is lighted by one fire- the light of daring burning in the heart. The more one dares, the more he shall obtain. The more he fears, the more that light shall pale - and that alone can guide. "

3 Comments:

Blogger Cinesonic said...

Wow Bill, that's awesome, you've got guts....

3:11 p.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

I prefer 'balls'.

6:10 p.m.  
Blogger Cinesonic said...

those too.....

5:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites