Friday, July 28, 2006

Rain Qi Gong

Went out for a walk today and got stuck in a rainstorm in the middle of nowhere. I found a tree's tall branch of leaves for some shelter. Then the rain started coming down so hard I couldn't move without getting more wet.

At some point over the course of an hour I just closed my eyes and began to take in the senses of smell, sound, touch as the weather rolled over me. I was a kid once again, getting soaked completely and loving the moment. I did some Qi Gong like the old days and it felt good. The truth is never far away. I've got to get back to t'ai chi again. Wu Style this time.

There's a point where you can't get any more wet than you are. Then comes my surrender to the elements and I'm free again. I walked miles home in the pouring rain.

A good day.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great story.
There's nothing quite like getting soaked in a summer downpour.
D

6:16 p.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

At last I walked into the sun, breaking through clouds. The cotton dried with every forward step.

6:59 p.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

D,

It was like being a kid again. Remember?

I remember living in LA and not having rain for 7 months. Then, one night, the rains came. I stood out in the courtyard by the lemon tree, raised my hands, and took in the warm rain.

On day I'd like to stand under a water fall and dive into the lagoon. Even if I never do it, I will dream it. What a gift it is to dream.

7:21 p.m.  
Blogger Rob McCleary said...

Last official Toronto moment: you and me in Trinity Bellwoods under the (Vancouver) longboard sheltered from the sudden (summer) downpour. I'd brought the longboard back to you as my last moment of surrender of all things Toronto.

(edit out uncontrollable sobbing)

I think moving from Vancouver to LA must've been the ultimate culture shock. For the first year I lived here it was "when the hell is this rain gonna stop?" to (mid July of second year) "when the hell is the rain coming back?"

8:33 p.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

I remember balancing the longboard (wooden waterski)on our heads, looking out over the park.

It's nice when time stands still like that for a while. Too easy to fall into the hustle and bustle of things, going from A to B to C in a rush for no reason.

Summer is the best time to be in Vancouver for me.

6:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites