Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sexinart.net

Sexinart.net is a focused little blog featuring, well, sex in art. The host(s) basically point readers to other sites and photos they find interesting capturing both subjects.

Not sure a photo of nude people is necessarily art.

At right is a sample image from SexinArt. Here's a photo and link to South Korean artist, Kim Joon. Quite a difference with the North Korean state approved art I looked at about a week ago. I think Kim Jong-il would approve because the meaning (sex) is plain as day.

Too often staged photographs are described as art when, actually, a nude body is the only 'maybe art'. At least that's my opinion. "Would the art subject still exist in the absence of the photograph?", is my first question in considering whether a photograph is art.

Art Slob Rant: Not 'everything goes' in art. Such a belief erodes the development of personal taste for things of special significance, meaning. The release of so much 'maybe art' has devalued the role of serious artists and increased the appearent value of the art theorist/critic.

An erotic representation is not art. It is a design with the directed intent to titilate and distract. It's just sex, baby.

2 Comments:

Blogger Justin Fox said...

"Art" is in the eye of the beholder and it's very far from "design".

"An erotic representation is not art. It is a design with the directed intent to titilate and distract. It's just sex, baby."

Isn't the primary role of art to titilate and distract? :)

4:31 p.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

Maybe you're right, Justin.

The more galleries I visit, the more open I am to new ideas and emotions.

Then again, during the mental and emotional bombardment I subject myself to every week on www.gallerycrawl.ca, there's a need for me to distinguish between things, as a baby forms a mind, comparing one thing against another.

I write my truth and read yours.

5:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites