Saturday, October 14, 2006

Spare Change Signs

I buy the occasional cardboard sign from people asking for money on the sidewalk. Don't ask me why. I basically say, "How much for the sign?". This throws a lot of people when I ask to buy their sign. They think I'm being a wiseguy. "How much do you want for it?". I basically pay whatever they say - within reason. It isn't that hard to find another piece of cardboard in a big city and black magic markers (the preferred writing instrument) cost about $2. So, anything more than $2 is pure profit. And wouldn't it be nice to change your message once and a while? The most I've ever paid is $20. You should've seen the look on the old guy's face when I handed him the $20 bill.


The sign above was bought from a young couple in front of Toronto city hall for $10. From their accent, it sounded like they were from Newfoundland. They told me that the sign was on the level, that they didn't have any money, but they wanted to get a marriage license. In 2006 a City of Toronto marriage license costs $130.

I hope those crazy kids went through with it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amelia Earhart said...

Is this your charity project?

8:25 a.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

Good to hear from you, Amelia.

It's my effort to avoid charity which I feel harms a person's dignity. Friends know I'm a serious collector. The sign-maker is selling a product of their labour. I consider it a fair exchange for the value they place on the sign.

The closest I come to charity is my Gallery Crawl endeavour to promote Toronto fine artists. That's a community service which costs me time and money. Then again, I receive a great deal of contentment from the ability to act for a good cause.

I absolutely agree with the Socratic notion of 'virtue', in every sense, as the key to a good life. It has become a core principle in my philosophy based on experience.

1:30 p.m.  
Blogger katrocket said...

that's a really good story. it makes me long for a happy ending.

6:28 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites