Tuesday, March 14, 2006

'Steel McCoy' (from 'Covers' series)

Thanks to the suggestion of my creative consultant, Rob McCleary, I went out and did some photos of street steel on Queen St. West. Steel like man-hole covers for sewer, telephone, and hydro-electric infrastructure. I also did a number of water, gas and even survey covers on the sidewalk.

You were right, Robbie. They are interesting! I almost got my head whacked by passing cars a number of times.

N.B. See the type at the bottom of the manhole cover? 'McCoy'? Mr. McCleary and I actually went to school with Kim and Dean McCoy. Their family business made McCoy covers and drains all over Ontario. Isn't that something? I wonder where Kim McCoy is these days.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rob McCleary said...

Me likey!

They'd look really cool on a white matte with a plain black frame. I smell "installation piece" complete with stolen manhole covers and people cutting themselves to ribbons on rusty sheet iron.

I get all hot about stuff like that. Check out the cement floors at OCAD (the building on the east side) - it's cement that's been whirled into a cool pattern...

2:46 p.m.  
Blogger Rob McCleary said...

Kind of looks like Vancouver from the air - that endless grid...

2:47 p.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

I just had beer with a guy who told me hundreds of people die in China each year because manhole covers are stolen for scrap metal value.

There was this company I worked for that threw nickels aroung like manhole covers.

3:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites