Thursday, March 30, 2006

Yves Klein: The Chelsea Hotel Manifesto

Got an e-mail from a relative of mine. She read This month's Yves Klein salute and had this to say:
And that Klein artist is just crazy.... period.... sorry..... Although I can see how he could inspire you crazy artist people.

Yves Klein at work.
Well, if I'm crazy like Klein then I don't want to be sane. I made the mistake of not allowing Klein to speak for himself. Although this great artist (in my crazy opinion) died of a heart attack on June 6th, 1962, he left us his very own Chelsea Hotel Manifesto.

Here's a small sample:
At present, I am particularly excited by "bad taste". I have the deep feeling that there exists in the very essence of bad taste a power capable of creating those things situated far beyond what is traditionally termed "The Work of Art". I wish to play with human feeling, with its "morbidity" in a cold and ferocious manner. Only very recently I have become a sort of grave digger of art (oddly enough, I am using the very terms of my enemies). Some of my latest works have been coffins and tombs. During the same time I succeeded in painting with fire, using particularly powerful and searing gas flames, some of them measuring three to four meters high. I use these to bathe the surface of the painting in such a way that it registered the spontaneous trace of fire.
So I hope I've done a better job of presenting the true Yves Klein this time 'round.

Yves Klein, Chelsea Hotel apartment/studio.

I hope once my 'sane' relative reads his Chelsea Hotel Manifesto she'll have a better idea if Mr. Klein is/was crazy or a rare artistic genius.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rob McCleary said...

Anybody who makes art with a flame thrower is ok by me.

7:56 p.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

Here, Here....

7:58 p.m.  
Blogger Rob McCleary said...

http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/

Check this out.

It only reinforces my belief that we should simply stop creating new images. Henceforward, we will only recycle the past.

9:12 p.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

Wow, I gotta link to that blog!

Thanks, Rob. Say, is there a protocol to linking to another website or blog. Am I (in my newbie ignorance) supposted to request permission to link? Is this an issue for people?

Anyone?

9:18 p.m.  
Blogger Rob McCleary said...

Think I need to do some more research myself. I don't THINK there's a problem (it's all public domain, no?). Maybe we need some kind of printed callling-card stationery like Victorian era gentlemen?

11:47 a.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

I'm hear you. See next post.

I present it at finger tips, bowing like the Japanese.

If only people still presented silver trays at the door!

4:01 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Could you tell me where you got the photo of Klein in his Chelsea Hotel apartment? I'd like to get permission to reprint it in a book I'm writing.
Many thanks.

7:06 a.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

Sherill,

I have no idea where I got the image from other than a Google search.

Sorry,

Bill

6:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites