Monday, July 31, 2006

AS: Swimsuit Issues

1978.................................2006
I was up all night thinking about the gal in the bathing suit. Then I remembered that I'd seen it before! Cheryl Tiegs (left) wore the suit in a 1978 SI issue.

Looks like a near exact reshoot. Interesting to compare the 1978 and 2006 photos, and popular notions of beauty and light design. Fascinating study. Reminds me of ancient Greek statuary. Each the Venus of their time. A classic pose.

I'm more in awe than aroused by the beauty. Not erotica, but is it art?

2 Comments:

Blogger ting ting said...

great catch! from mere memory then? love the blog, by the way.

9:47 a.m.  
Blogger Bill Pocock said...

Thanks, ting ting.

I remember camping at Killbear Provincial Park (about 3 hours drive north of Toronto) when I was about ten years old.

The family went into town and one stop was the public library. Little Billy ran over to the magazine rack and started to flip through the latest Sports Illustrated issue. I liked sports quite a bit back then.

I turned the page and lost my innocence.... I saw the picture of Cheryl Tiegs and have liked women ever since. Guess you could say Tiegs became my imprint for female beauty. The 2006 is sexier to me if I consider both now. Tiegs seems to represent 'eternal woman' for me. She's all women.

Love the shoes, ting ting.

10:33 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites