Monday, October 16, 2006

On the Sidewalk

Sad story...

A while back I stopped into a coffee shop. When I stepped out there was a strange silence in the air at Yonge & St. Clair. I glanced across the street and quickly noticed a crowd had gathered then pressed on. And then I stopped. I looked.

A mini van had jumped the curb and into the noontime sidewalk crowd. A young woman hugged someone, crying uncontrollably. Then I saw an older woman - her mother. The woman lay face-up on the sidewalk with her mouth open. She was dead. Fire sirens wailed in the distance.

I'm sure the mother felt no pain. The same thing happened to me but on a motorcycle. When I came back to life there was no pain for hours.

Life is precious and easily lost.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob McCleary said...

Intense. Every time I see some jackass run a red in Vancouver (and believe me, it's often) it pops into my head you getting run over by that van.

Sorry about the whole "clusterfuck" thing. I still like the idea of a community blog, but maybe I need to rethink the method...and that was only after two glasses of wine, so don't feel too bad about drinking and blogging.

5:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is friendship

5:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites