Friday, October 20, 2006

Virgin Sacrifice

Most nights I walk to the end of my street and contemplate The Virgin Mary. Her statue stands in front of an order of nuns (Mother Theresa's order). In trying to understand her/it, I meditate on the sculptural form. Tonight I noticed that she's always the same, but her surroundings (flowers, incense, tree leaves) are in constant change.

One day I'll research the history of Mary's emergence into the Christian iconography. A few months ago I attempted to begin an homage to this Virgin by a virgin sacrifice as depicted in Bergman's 'The Seventh Seal' It was to be a witch burning (referred to in this blog a few months ago). Not a real virgin sacrifice. I did a photo shoot with a talented model, capturing her performace for the purpose of doing a full-scale sculpture.

As I was about to begin the sculpture, the old wooden ladder I planned to set the sculpture on was stolen. It took all the wind out of my sails. I'll never do it now. Why steal an old ladder?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. Add to Technorati Favorites